Getting in a car accident is scary, but getting in an accident with a commercial vehicle is downright terrifying. All vehicle crashes have the potential to do incredible damage to vehicles and people, but accidents with a massive commercial vehicle like a semi-truck have the potential to be even more devastating and damaging due to the mere size of the truck. It is important to know what to steps to take if you are ever in an accident with a truck in order to get compensated for damages.
If you are in an accident with a truck, do:
- Call 911. Even if there doesn't appear to be any major injuries, it is vital that 911 is called so that the accident can be properly documented by the authorities.
- Gather information from the other party, if you are safe and physically able to. Information you will need is the driver's full name, address, phone number, license plate number, company name, and insurance information.
- Gather personal information from any witnesses, if you are safe and physically able to. You will need their full name, address, and phone number.
- Take photographs of the scene and any damage caused.
- Accept medical attention for everyone in your vehicle. You may feel fine at the moment and you may just want to go home and try to calm down, but it is vital that you get checked out right away. Not all injuries are evident immediately, and delaying medical care will make it harder to prove that it occurred as a result of the accident.
- Contact a personal injury attorney that deals with commercial vehicle accidents.
If you are in an accident with a truck, do not:
- Admit fault. Even if you are rattled and trying to calm everyone's nerves, be very careful what words come out of your mouth. These can be used against you down the line.
- Sign anything from the trucking company. If something needs to be signed, it is best to review it with your attorney.
- Make a statement to the trucking company or their insurance company. If you are requested to do so, speak to your attorney.
- Discuss the accident with anyone other than your attorney.
- Post about the accident on social media in any form. Since truck accidents have the potential to be much more damaging and severe than a regular car accident, it is vital you do not post about it. These accidents, even when not life-threatening, can make the news due to possible clean up and road closures. If there are fatalities involved, there will definitely be reporting done. Do not comment on articles or posts about the accident, and do not indicate that you were involved in an accident in any way.
If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial vehicle, remember these tips and contact a commercial vehicle accident attorney.